eReferral is Alberta’s first paperless referral solution, and is a key innovation to improve access to health services in Alberta. eReferral offers Alberta Netcare users the ability to create, submit, track and manage referrals in real time throughout the referral process.
The program leverages existing information from Alberta Netcare (such as demographics, labs, and diagnostic imaging) into a referral form that can be saved as a draft, is checked for completeness and can be tracked in real time as it is submitted, received, triaged and scheduled for an appointment.
The first phase of eReferral was launched July 14, 2014 and offers referrals to hip and knee joint replacement, and routine* medical/radiation oncology for breast and lung cancer. This limited production rollout is now in evaluation to define a path forward to ensure this capability is available to all Albertans across clinical areas.
*For those primary care physicians who currently make direct referrals to medical and radiation oncology for breast and lung cancer, please use eReferral beginning July 14th. For urgent referrals, and all others, please continue with your usual referral to specialty practice (ie. fax).
Interested in eReferral?
CHECK the Technical Requirements for optimal use of eReferral.
ATTEND an Information Webinar, watch a demo, and join the conversation. To register, contact Cindy Norris firstname.lastname@example.org
SIGN UP for training. Contact Cindy Norris email@example.com
JOIN our mailing list. Contact Erin Rohl firstname.lastname@example.org
FIND provincial referral guidelines for hip and knee joint replacement referrals and medical/radiation oncology referrals for lung and breast cancer
- Alberta Hip and Knee Replacement Referral Form
- Breast Cancer Referral Guidelines
- Lung Cancer Referral Guidelines
If you don't have access to Alberta Netcare Find out how to Register
The eReferral Newsletter provides regular updates on the program.
- Download current issue: 15-12
- Archive: 15-10, 15-5, 15-3, 14-12, 14-11, 14-9, 14-7, 14-5, 14-4, 14-3, 14-1, 13-11, 13-10, 13-9, 13-8
- eReferral by the Numbers
- South Zone Feature
- eReferral Offers Nephrology Advice
- Edmonton PCN Infographic
- Health Services Catalogue
eReferral Learning Resources
A number of learning resources have been developed to support Alberta Netcare users as they learn how to use eReferral to manage the referral process.
- Getting Started With eReferral: describes the steps to configure your Alberta Netcare homepage and updating "My Details" settings to enable eReferrals.
- eReferral 101 Video and eReferral 101 reference sheet: provide an overview of the benefits and features of the eReferral program.
- eReferral Quick Reference: are short 1-2 page sheets that tell you, step-by-step, how to complete key tasks in the application.
- eReferral eDemos: are 2-3 minute videos which illustrate the key functions of eReferral.
- eReferral User Guide: is an in depth resource providing information about all areas of eReferral
- eReferral Training Environment:
is a simulation of the eReferral application allowing you to practice creating and managing electronic referrals. If you are inside an AHS location, you can go directly to the Training Environment. Outside AHS, you must login to Citrix with your SecureID token first. Follow the instructions on the page to login using a Clinical1 ID; you'll see the eReferral tab on the left.
- eReferral Big Ideas: are step-by-step shortcuts and hacks to make your eReferral experience even easier.
- How to attach a WOLF EMR form to an eReferral
- How to Generate a Paperless Referral in the Wolf EMR
- How to set a preference for ANP inactivity timeout
- eReferral Evaluation: Read the Executive Summary, or the eReferral Evaluation Final Report